Sunday, January 16, 2011

self-infliction/pleasure pain?

My legs are covered in scars, reminders of my lack of awareness or lack of caring. Scrapes from tripping and falling, nicks from shaving and cuts from new shoes all take a part of the history of small pains. My hands have scars from working, from clumsiness, from paper cuts and boredom. My face has scars from piercing and the inside edges of my hips from tattoos. All these scars reflect a moment of hurt. But what has been my choice? What did i do to myself? What did i want and desire to feel? The needle dragging ink under my skin was delicious.. the vibrations on my bone and the slicing feel of art was pain for pleasure. The breaking of skin and tissue to slide a metal bar through me? An aphrodisiac to those who could taste vanity. Another cut from shaving.. a scrap from my sharp nails.. a gash from falling off my board? Those may not be consciously self-inflicted.. but the pain is still desirous. We crave these little hurts to cover up for the greater hurts we hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment