Thursday, February 24, 2011

in the tone of infatuation


You’re a bright light, baby, you are such a bright light,
You are shinning in my bed, lighting up our storybook under the covers

Baby I’ve been waiting for this moment for almost a year now
You with your teaching degree and me with my notebook ready for notes

I sat front row until I had to sit back row because of the electrocution risk
Your movement was fiery; your existence had me sweltering

I’d scribble fake words while my mind played a movie of you
Holding me against the whiteboard, our hands over each others mouths

And then it was no longer a play-pretend nightly fantasy
You were graduated and I was so perfectly alone

I gave you a flower and stared at your hands while you reached out
You spoke in French for me and I stopped breathing

It was too long denied and too hard to do so, but still I longed for you
When you finally came over to my bed and The Smiths were playing

I kissed you and you poured out your passion from your shaking fingertips
You tasted exactly like I always imagined

My heart frazzled out to a stop but you shocked me to life again
When you told me that you had always been so overwhelmed by me as well

1 comment: